Broek op Langedijk was once simply called Broek. That name refers to a low-lying place in swampy land, 'on Langedijk' points to the fact that the place is located on and next to the dike, which was called the langedijk. As the name suggests, it was a fairly long dike. The place name appears in the 12th century as Broec, in 1424 as Broeck opten dijck and 1639 as Brock Langhendyck. Broek op Langedijk was part of the municipality of Langedijk until January 1, 2022. Broek op Langedijk was an independent municipality from 1810 to 1941.
The villages of Broek, Zuid- and Noord-Scharwoude were nicknamed the kingdom of a thousand islands because of the large number of small islands for agriculture. Some of the islands have been developed into residential areas, others are nature reserves.
In 1980, the Nine Centuries Festivities were celebrated in Langedijk, because of the name Langedijk that has existed for nine centuries. This festival gave rise to two now traditional festivals in the municipality, the Beddenrace in Noord-Scharwoude and the Langedoikermarkt every third Saturday in August in Broek op Langedijk.
All rights reserved | Foundation for the Preservation of the Langedoikermarkt